Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"You look like you need a hand"

Thus spoke the kind and perceptive woman who held the door open for me this afternoon. Did I? What was it that clued her in? The hysterically screaming child in my stroller? The coffee splashing up and out of the cup onto my stroller (note: coffee was not spilled onto said screaming child. the two incidents were unrelated. or at least the causality didn't work in that direction.)? The coffee stains all over the front of my pants? The fact that I had maneuvered through one door into the incredibly small vestibule of the town hall, but had no foreseeable way to maneuver through the second door without retracing my path back through the first door (who designs these things? clearly, no one who's ever navigated a stroller. or worse yet, a wheelchair.)? I started to tell this woman that it was okay, I didn't need help, but given the facts listed above, it was clear that yes, I needed a hand.

Accepting a helping hand has always been something of a challenge for me. It's also something of a goal for me these days. If there's one thing that makes you realize there are times when you need a little help, it's having a baby. And so, I'm working on it. And Brian and I are working on it. Or at least we're trying to remind ourselves to work on it. Because it's becoming more and more clear that accepting, or (gasp!) asking for, a little more help might make our quality of life as parents a lot better. And happy parents=happy child. This weekend Henry spent a bit of time with his Nanna and Grampa, while Brian and I had some alone time. Alone, apart time. Alone, together time is also a goal these days. I think the last time Brian went to the coin store was surely before Henry was born. And I'm not sure of the last time I had a few hours alone in the house. The time flew by, and I confess, I did housework. But it was quiet, and the housework sure goes a lot faster when you're not simultaneously caring for a mobile, adventurous little baby. Small things? Sure, but they make a big difference. I think leaving Henry with other caregivers is probably a good thing for him as well. As he's entering the separation anxiety phase, I can see the importance of getting him used to being apart from me and Brian. At this point, we could nearly count on two hands the waking hours that I've spent away from Henry. Yikes! But, it feels like a dilemma sometimes when it's possible I could sneak out. On the weekends, I love spending time with my two favorite guys. Sure, I could leave Henry with Brian. But then I'd miss out on spending time with Brian. How does one balance these needs? I guess it's something that might become more clear with time. Maybe? Luckily, I do have a mommies night out planned with some friends next week. And Brian and I have some excellent sitters lined up for a night out for our wedding anniversary (thanks Nonnie and Pops!). Oh, and book club is coming up soon. So good stuff is on the horizon. Meanwhile, the rest of you readers out there, watch out, because I'm going to keep trying hard to accept and solicit some help--who wants to babysit Henry first?!

If you weren't already enticed to have some quality time with Henry, here are some new pics to further seal the deal. Note Henry's new favorite smile, the mouth-wide-open, I-can-hardly-contain-myself grin. It's pretty cute.





And here's a video of Henry coming in close to say hello to all of his fans. Or to eat my camera. Whatever.



1 comment:

sassymom said...

Now that you are attached to a stroller, don't you think that all public places should have an automatic door? Just wait until you're negotiating those doors with a stroller and a toddler (or preschooler)...

Sign us up for Henry time. We're open for a play date on Nov. 1st or the next weekend.