Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Will you be my friend?

Henry's now at an age where he actually notices and interacts with other children. As I've noted previously, he especially adores his two cousins, but he's also quite enamored with other little faces, and loves watching any young children. A trip to the grocery store becomes that much more fun when he spots other parents toting tots. And during some crankiness at a restaurant this weekend he became downright cheery when an 11 month-old little girl sat in a high chair at the adjacent booth. I wish she could've been there for the duration of our whole meal--it would have been much more pleasant! I chatted a bit with this little girl's mom while the babies babbled at one another, and couldn't help but wonder: is it appropriate to pick-up parent pals? What sort of line would you use, something like: "Hey baby, who's your daddy?" I didn't wind up asking for this momma's number, but they seemed like a lovely couple with a cute baby, and I always think it would be nice to have more potential play dates. Maybe we'll run into one another again on the playground some day.

Henry's been working on his social skills with the buddies he's known since being just a few weeks old. It would be an understatement to say that these skills could use a little refining. Here's what Henry knows about being a good friend:

1) Friends share common interests. We're working on the sharing part. In Henry's world this means: "Oh, you like that toy? I like it too. I want it now! Can I have it now? No, you want it too? Sorry, buddy, but it's mine!" And then Henry swipes another toy out of his friend's grasp.

2) Friends lean on one another during good times and bad. Henry's meaning: "Hey, you look sturdy. Maybe I can stand up using you to push off of. I mean, you're just sitting there and all, make yourself useful." Henry's poor friends aren't quite as sturdy as he might think. Then again, neither are many of the things he tries to use for standing leverage.

3) A good friend let's you know when you're having a bad hair day. Henry's technique for this is pretty straightforward. Approach your friend like you just want to say hi. Then reach out, grab some locks, and hang on for dear life.

Henry's friends are pretty patient little fellas. Or maybe just less mobile. Play dates continue to become more and more interesting, and fun, as the kids get bigger. It's already hard to believe that they can at least engage in some parallel play when they're around one another. As it happens, play dates are now for actual playing--not just for the still important mommy socializing time!

Embracing his spiky hair to the fullest during a little post-lunch photo session. Henry's styling product of choice today: applesauce.
"Come on Mom, let me help cook! I've even got a whisk that's just my size."

1 comment:

sassymom said...

Four years into motherhood and I'm still not sure about the ettiquette for picking up new mommy friends.