Friday, September 21, 2007

Showing off for the camera

In the words of our sonographer, we have a little "squirmer." During the ultrasound yesterday, B and I were witness to countless flips, rolls, and somersaults as g-unit showed off for his/her proud parents. Going into the ultrasound, I thought we might see an arm or leg moving if we were lucky, so it was exciting for me to unexpectedly see the acrobatics of our little one. And it sure confirms that the small flutters and kicks I suspected to be movement are indeed rumblings from the "squirmer." If this level of activity keeps up outside of the womb, B and I are going to be given a run for our money--probably quite literally!

The ultrasound showed that everything is developing perfectly. Phew! No cause for concern or follow-up. As continuing evidence of my naive, first-time mother status, I must say I was pretty amazed at all the tiny measurements and calculations the sonographer does during this process. I had no idea they would be measuring structures like the baby's leg bone, arm bone, heart, stomach, and brain. Each just centimeters long or wide, but still apparently perfectly formed. I probably found the heart to be the most captivating of the measurements. To see it beating steadily, and to be able to view all four clearly distinguished chambers was pretty unreal. After all, how many times in life are we really given a view of any beating heart, nevermind a heart that is beating inside oneself?

As for me, I was also happy to have confirmation that all of the ice cream, pickles, and chinese food in which I have indulged (remember my mantra: "it's not for me, it's for the baby") haven't led to weight gain out of the normal range. B and I don't have a scale in the house, so I was beginning to worry a little about that. Now it's full steam ahead to Halloween candy--okay, I already bought one bag of candy corn--and the subsequent holiday food (again, remember the mantra)!

Pics from the ultrasound to follow next week. B needs to scan them and then I'll post them ASAP.

Yours in rockin' and rollin' from the underbelly,
M and g-unit

PS. No, we didn't find out the sex. Could have, but didn't. I told B if he wasn't there I probably would've caved and asked for them to tell me. As with so many things in our life together, good thing B was there with me.

No comments: