Thursday, September 27, 2007

Pop, goes the g-unit

For lack of a better word, I have apparently "popped." By extension, of course, g-unit has really been the one to "pop." The past two days have been filled with sudden acknowledgement of my pregnant state by random (and non-random) others.

Yesterday, one of the kids I work with looked at my stomach and asked if I have a baby. After I confirmed that I was pregnant, she then proceeded to ask me several times to show her my belly. Now, different therapists advocate setting different boundaries with clients, but I'm pretty sure that lifting up one's shirt to show a pregnant stomach would be ill-advised by nearly any clinician. So, I kept my shirt down. Thus thwarted, the nine-year old made several attempts to photograph my clothed-stomach with her mother's cell-phone camera. g-unit's first run-in with the paparazzi. I think I successfully avoided/deflected a direct shot. Something tells me that therapy with this family is going to take on a whole new phase in the next few months.

On the home-visit prior to this, a mother who had already guessed about my pregnancy nearly squealed with delight when she saw me, saying "ohhhh, look! you're showing more!" Yes, I am. And I probably will every week from here on out. Her son had also guessed about my pregnancy. His reaction was a little more hostile. He "accidentally" hit a wiffle ball directly at my stomach. No more wiffle ball therapy for him.

And then there was my favorite pregnancy comment of the day. On my way home from said home visits, I decided I needed to stop at my favorite bakery and get a cupcake(it was right on the way, I swear). Things had pretty much gone downhill at the final appointment of the day after I thwarted the child from unwanted photographs and belly-viewing, and I needed a treat to get through my hour-long drive home. An older gentleman held the door open for me at the bakery and asked how I was feeling, as he unabashedly looked at my stomach and nodded toward it. He then continued to state that I was a beautiful mother-to-be, and hoped I would continue to feel well.
A cupcake and a compliment at the end of a long day can go quite a way in lifting this pregnant lady's spirits. (hint hint, B.)

No comments: