Friday, September 14, 2007

Hello in there!

I think that g-unit has started communicating from the uterine netherworld. Which is an exciting, yet extremely odd, feeling. In part because he/she is so close, actually being inside me, and yet it's currently a one-way "communication." Maybe using the word "communication" is even a stretch, but this is the closest we'll get for another few months. Every time I feel a little flutter (or at least what I'm perceiving as baby movement), I wish that I could do something to communicate back or encourage more movement. Some sort of morse code on my stomach that we could use to message back and forth. Just so I could let g-unit know that I was listening and paying attention. I'm not quite up to the talking-to-my-stomach-out-loud stage. And I'm not 100% sure that I ever will be.

So far, I'm still a tiny bit unsure that what I'm feeling is the baby moving. But with every day that I feel more, I gain confidence that I'm not imagining things or experiencing some freak digestive distress. The sensation began at night a few weeks ago, when I rolled over onto my stomach and thought I felt some movement. That was an isolated event until pretty recently. Then I started thinking that I felt more and more little bumps and bubbles every night when I would lay down on the couch or in bed. Yesterday marked a big change, as I experienced that same feeling during the day, and throughout the day. Maybe g-unit possesses some innate, unspoken connection with my thoughts (no morse code required), too, because as I write these I'm feeling the first little pokes of the day. It's a pretty wild experience. And hard to explain. Various books, websites, friends have described it in terms such as bubbles, popcorn popping, or a goldfish swimming. Those are all pretty close, but I'd have to say it's a completely unique experience that is hard to characterize by any descriptor I've ever known. I'm hoping to reach a stage soon where B can feel the movement with his hand on my stomach. Then we can both tap messages to and from g-unit. ;)

No comments: