Monday, March 23, 2009

Walkin' the walk, talkin' the talk

Wow, has it really been three weeks since I last blogged? I guess I've been busy keeping up with our on-the-go one-year old! Henry has been a walking, talking little character lately. I've found my experiences with him to also be particularly intense lately. Mostly intense in a good way, sometimes intensely challenging. I think this might also be a reason I haven't written lately. In my non-Henry time, I've needed to take a little breather from my buddy and re-energize for my next time with him.

So, the good news or the bad news first?

Bad news: Henry has started throwing temper tantrums and otherwise asserting his will in loud and unpleasant ways. I understand this is a normal developmental milestone, relating to his growing independence and his frustration at being unable to verbalize his wants and needs. That said, it can be a major pain in the a$! And when I say "it can be a major pain"I mean the tantrum, not Henry. If there was ever a time for me to begin using the instructions I've read/given/heard as a family therapist and a mother, it is now. In this spirit: Henry, I love you, but I'm not so crazy about your behavior right now. How about you just quietly tell me what you want instead of screaming and thrashing? Right.

Moving on...

Good news: Henry is SO much fun lately! The boy is funny, he's smart, he's curious, he's a bundle of energy and quite a little character. Not that I'm biased or anything. Each day has brought new developmental skills and revelations in Henry's personality. Some recent Henry fun facts include:
  • Henry's pretty funny, and he doesn't mind saying so himself! He's been laughing and giggling more than ever lately--often when cracking himself up. Making faces, playing peek-a-boo, throwing things and chasing after mommy are some favorite reasons for laughing.
  • Henry's a speed racer. He's walking quite easily now, occasionally breaking into a near-run. No more crawling for Henry G.
  • Henry has a lot to say. If only he had all the words! He's working on it, though. As commonly happens, I think Brian and I are the only ones who understand him. And really, we often aren't sure what he's trying to say. Henry's working his way forward in the alphabet, starting with the letter B. His favorite words are "balloon," "ball," and "bird." He's also starting saying "duck" and "eyes" (we think). Luckily, his handy pointer finger usually clues us in to what "buh" we're supposed to be looking at/going to/getting for Henry.
  • Henry's creative. In the past two days he's initiated two new games to play with me, totally out of the blue. His first little game involved pushing on the back of my legs to get me to walk forward. I guess he figures his toys move when he pushes on them, why not try it with mommy? Henry found it pretty hysterical when he was successful in his Go Mommy Go game. Secondly, Henry started a new version of peek-a-boo, where he hides behind me, peers around slyly while I pretend not to find him, and giggles like mad. What a fun little boy he is!
Pictures to follow in the next day or two.

No comments: