Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, Henry!

Today is Henry's 1st Birthday! Happy birthday, Henry!

We've had a wonderful few days of celebrations big and small. Today, we had the great treat of a snow day! While I wasn't thrilled with the new 10 inches of snow, I was very excited to have Brian home from work. The three of us enjoyed a quiet day at home, we went for a sled ride down the street, and I cooked a special dinner with Henry's current favorite food, baked sweet potatoes. Yesterday we took Henry to his favorite diner for breakfast. And on Saturday we were joined by friends and family for Henry's first birthday party. It was a joy to see him fulfill his birthday-boy duties; eating his first piece of cake, having fun with his guests, and playing with his new toys. In the picture below, you can see the cake that I made for our birthday boy. The carousel theme was inspired by a gift from my mother. She gave me the pewter, animal-shaped candle holders that circle the inside of Henry's cake, and were used during my own childhood. I can also thank my mother for the gift of creativity that inspired the cake. I fondly remember the fun cakes my mom made for each of our birthdays, among many other projects that reflect her thoughtfulness and creative skills.
Henry's carousel cake was fun to make, an delicious to eat, too!
Before the cake arrived on Henry's tray, he was excited to see it up close. He had watched me assemble the cake the day before, and wanted to get his hands on it right away.
Here we are with the birthday boy.
Henry with his Pops and Nonnie.
And here are a few more cute photos from the past week.

No comments: