Sunday, August 24, 2008

What the heck is that?

As a child, I was once found wearing a guilty/disgusted look on my face, with offending white paint dripping out of my mouth onto my nice new shoes. Or so I'm told. I don't actually remember the event, but it does sound like something I would do. After all, my interest in food/drink had to begin sometime, why not in those early days? Alas, the paint was not milk as I had imagined it to be, in the brief moment of time when I was left alone and apparently ran over to take a big gulp.

This is only one among my long list of childhood incidents and accidents, much like the lists of so many other children who somehow manage to reach adulthood intact and relatively unscathed. However, having been a curious, active child myself, I fear that I'm owed my own curious, active child. One who likes to investigate (and taste) everything in sight. I can just picture Henry in my place, sampling milky white paint. He already shows signs of such burgeoning interest and initiative, even with his current range of relatively limited mobility. Given these conditions, I'm guessing that there will be plenty of fodder for a recurring "What the heck is that?" feature on this blog. My inspiration for this feature began with a befuddling moment this morning. Here's the scenario in this, my first "What the heck is that?" post:

Brian and I were eating breakfast, when Brian asked me what the yellow spots were on Henry's head. I hadn't noticed any yellow spots earlier, so I took a closer look. Sure enough, the back of Henry's head and the upper part of his neck were covered in bright yellow splotches. I had a few initial ideas of what it might be. Here are some clues and circumstances. One of these clues resulted in the ultimate answer to the question of "What the heck is that?"
  • Henry had been playing in his Jumperoo. The Jumperoo was in the dining room. Brian and I had eaten hot dogs for lunch yesterday while Henry played in his Jumperoo.
  • Henry had been playing on his playmat. The playmat had been sitting on the tiles of the fireplace. The mantel on the fireplace held candles, sea shells, a vase with flowers, and a clock.
  • Henry had been crawling around on the floor in the living room. Brian often uses highlighter markers in the living room to track his coin collecting. The highlighter sometimes winds up on the lower shelf of the coffee table.
  • Henry spent some time outdoors yesterday on a blanket and crawling a bit in the grass.
  • Yesterday Henry ate carrots/applesauce for lunch, and banana/oatmeal for dinner. His favorite foods also include sweet potato and butternut squash.
  • Brian's white t-shirt also bore traces of yellow.
So, do you think you know what the heck those yellow splotches were? Feel free to comment with your guesses. The answer will be posted in a separate entry tomorrow.

Please note that Henry is A-Okay. The yellow splotches are nothing to worry about.

1 comment:

sassymom said...

The Brothers YZ might have colored him with a yellow marker.