Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Running before he can walk


Henry and I have begun a new phase in our adventures together--running! It's been about a year since I really attempted any regular exercise regimen, and even longer since I was consistent about my running. But now that I'm home with Henry full-time, my opportunities for getting in one run a day are more expansive than ever. Thanks to Brian's boss, Bob, we have a jogging stroller that Henry now fits into. I used the head adapter from one of the other strollers in Henry's fleet, just to ensure that his head doesn't wobble around too much. So far, he's been happy as a clam on our two runs together.

Running with Henry reminds me of the many outdoor adventures that I've had with my father over the years. I think that of the many gifts my father has given me, experiencing the joy of being outdoors is one of the greatest. It's truly been an integral part of my life--from the countless hours spent running on trails in the Berkshires, to skiing, hiking, and simply having the capacity to enjoy a walk or moment in nature. I'm thankful to be passing this gift along to Henry.

In an effort to keep myself motivated in my running, and to track the progress that I make in my quest to get back into shape, I've added a new element to this blog. The "Momma Miles" section in the right-hand column will consist of a record of how many daily miles Henry has "run" in his jogging stroller (walks in the stroller don't count for the tally). We're starting at ground zero here, but I'm hoping that maybe by fall I can run far enough with Henry to enter a race. I think it would be incredibly fun to cross the finish line pushing my little outdoor buddy in front of me.

No comments: