Monday, July 28, 2008

Bananas for Henry

Henry's world of taste is beginning to expand. This weekend, he had bananas for the first time. This was his introduction to the wonders of fruit. Unlike me, Henry loved his bananas. The alternate title of this entry was going to be "Guess how much I love you," because mushing up grossly ripe bananas is pretty high on my banana-hating list of things to do. I only eat them in banana bread form. Henry, on the other hand, gobbled down half of a mushed banana without any problem, and probably would have eaten more had I offered it. I had intended to introduce Henry to avocado this week--after being certain that the bananas weren't causing any sort of allergic reaction--but instead I enjoyed some guacamole from the perfectly ripe fruit tonight. It would have gotten over-ripe if I'd waited to introduce it after the banana phase ends. Maybe I'll buy another avocado to ripen for him later this week. Or maybe I'll plan on sweet potato. Or carrots. Or applesauce. So many possibilities! I love thinking about what I'm going to start feeding Henry, and actually watching him taste things. He clearly gets a lot of enjoyment from eating (like mother, like son). And it's fun to think about what his food experiences will be. For example, I never tasted an avocado until I was in my 20s, and Henry will have eaten some before he can even talk.

I also love the thought of preparing different foods for us as a family, which includes my goal of not buying any formula or baby food for Henry. It feels ambitious right now, but hopefully do-able. My plan is to at least attempt to continue breastfeeding him until he's a year old, and to also prepare my own baby food for him. It seems easy enough to make the food if one has enough time in the day, which I do, since I'm home with him. Almost five months down, seven to go!

1 comment:

sassymom said...

I'm sure that you can do it! The hardest part of nursing is well past you.