Tuesday, August 14, 2007

It's not for me, it's for the baby

When I've thought of blogs in the past, words and phrases like "narcissistic," "egocentric," and "who cares about your life?" have popped into my head. But, over time my opinion has shifted. I started avidly reading friends' blogs and realized the answer to "who cares?" was "I do." My husband started a blog, and found a new community. And now, as we're expecting our first child, I've found myself doing the unthinkable, and creating my very own blog. Of course, it's not really for me, it's for the baby. (And all the baby's adoring fans.)

For the purposes of this blog, our dear child will be called "little g-unit," invoking 1) the initial of our last name, 2) the fact that we're not finding out the sex, and 3) my poor taste in musical interests/pop culture. For those who don't know, G-Unit is a hip-hop artist. Of whom I'm not a particularly big fan, but the name stuck with me when thinking about our growing G family. The first of many very uncool things I will do as a mother, I'm sure.

Last week, g-unit and I went for our 12-week check-up. Happily, all is well. We have confirmation that both g-unit and I are healthy and fulfilling our respective tasks for "production" (as B likes to call the miraculous process of growing a life inside oneself). And with this confirmation, our comfort level with sharing our news has grown. Not that this really stopped us from telling many family and friends almost the moment we found out we were expecting. As well as random strangers on occasion. Like the waitress B told when I was 7 weeks pregnant. She commented that we didn't eat that much, and he explained "she's pregnant, so she's having trouble eating." B's ability to keep news quiet--especially great, life-changing news--is virtually non-existent. It's one of his charms. And I wonder if it will be one of the charms of our dear little g-unit. Only time will tell...

Until the next post,
MKG and g-unit

2 comments:

kestrelia said...

Hey. You forgot to mention my telling the waitress about the production got us two free drinks (non-alcoholic)!

B.

B'sMOM said...

More interesting than coins!